December 28, 2012 by Sarah M
By Nick Halter
UPDATE: The Minneapolis Arson Unit determined that the cause of the fire was unattended candles on the first floor in a condo unit, according to a Fire Department press release. The building was being demolished on Friday afternoon.
A condo building in Uptown has been engulfed in flames since about 8 a.m. this morning as more than 40 firefighters battle the blaze. It was still burning at 10 a.m.
The building is on the north side of Lake Street, next door to the Dunn Bros Coffee at 1506 W. Lake St.
Fire Marshal Perry Ebner said one person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Asked if anyone was still inside the building, he said “not that we know of.”
The building has eight units. Two ladder trucks were spraying the building from above, while several other firefighters were dousing the building from street level.
A man who was getting a bagel at Bruegger’s said the fire broke out quickly, and both the coffee shop and bagel shop were evacuated. His car was stuck in the parking lot.
The man said that a woman who lived in the back of the building escaped with burned hair and blackened hands, but was OK. Barefoot, she didn’t want to leave because she said her whole life was in the building, the man said.
It was unclear as of about 10 a.m. if the Dunn Bros was damaged.
“I don’t know yet, that will be assessed. But right now they have master streams, which is a water curtain that goes between the buildings and protects the exposure,” Ebner said.
Amore Victoria, a restaurant at 1601 W. Lake St., is collecting donations for the residents who lost their homes. It will also host a silent auction and dinner at 7 p.m. Jan. 9.